What Is Anchor Text?
While working for CopyPress, you may hear the phrase " Anchor Text" used in the assignment directions or Style Guide.
" Anchor Text" refers to the text used when hyperlinking to a resource.
Types of Anchor Text
We have two types of anchor text for our copy:
Branded anchor text should include the brand name in a keyword phrase.
"If you are looking to jumpstart your career as a freelancer, consider joining the CopyPress Community."
Natural anchor text should not include the brand name. Instead, include the link naturally in a phrase based on the most relevant text to the client link.
"If you are looking to jumpstart your career as a freelancer, there are plenty of quality freelancing communities for you to join."
- Email marketing has changed substantially over the last five years.
- "Email marketing has changed" is the anchor text.
- If you want to improve your lead acquisition, try creating a compelling landing page.
- "Creating a compelling landing page" is the anchor text.
- Email marketing has changed substantially over the last five years; click here to see how.
- "Click here," "link," and "check out" are all poor anchor text because they break away the fluidity of the sentence.
- If you want to improve your lead acquisition, try creating a compelling landing page like www.copypress.com.
- You should not use a domain or URL as anchor text.
Often, you'll be given instructions on how to properly integrate anchor text into your content. If no specific instructions are provided, the general rule of thumb is to apply the resource link naturally in the sentence based on the most relevant text.
Adding Anchor Text in the CMS
Adding links and anchor text in the CMS is easy.
Step 1: Highlight the anchor text you want to use for the hyperlink in the sentence.
Step 2: Click the "Insert Link" icon and enter the URL
REMEMBER: Always select "Open in new tab" unless otherwise instructed.
Once you have inserted your link, the anchor text will be blue.