How to Insert and Attribute Images
Understanding how to insert and attribute images is a critical skill for all CopyPress creatives. Unless otherwise stated, all our articles require at least one attributed image. The article below shows you how to add and cite images into content.
For CopyPress assignments, we typically use images from Flickr Creative Commons (unless otherwise stated in the Style Guide). However, you may also search and use images from Pixabay, Unsplash, and Pexels.
How to Attribute Images
All images added to the CMS need to be properly attributed.
A properly attributed image from Flickr will look like:
Image via Flickr by A_Peach
Notice we hyperlink the word "Flickr" and direct it to the page with all available image sizes. The format of the link should end in "/sizes/m/" not the file format ".jpg" or ".png" for instance. You can find more details about attributing Flickr images below.
When adding images, you need to utilize the Insert Image functionality inside the Article Writing Window.
When you are ready to add an image, click the Insert Image icon.
When the window above opens, simply paste the image URL and click "Insert." Watch our screencast for details on copying and pasting the image URL!
How to Search for and Insert Flickr Images
- Perform a search on https://www.flickr.com/.
- Make sure to change "Any License" to "Commercial use & mods allowed."
- When you find a photo that you would like to use, click to open it.
- Click on the down arrow in the right-hand column.
- Select “View all sizes.”
- On the next page, select the size “Medium 500” (if Medium 500 is not an option, choose the next closest size).
- Right click on the photo and select “Copy Image Location” or “Copy Image URL.”
- On the article page in the CMS, place the cursor in the article content where you would like to insert the image.
- Click on Insert Image icon (mountain icon).
- When the image box opens, paste the image URL and click "Insert."
- Hit Enter to add the attribution on a new line. Do not use the Image Caption option.
- Write attribution using the following format: Image via Flickr by [Username].
- Link to the webpage by adding the webpage URL on the word Flickr (Need help inserting links? Review instructions in our guide to linking).
- Don’t link to the Image URL (the same URL that you used to insert the image).
- Example: Image via Flickr by A_Peach.
Understanding URLs for Images and How to Attribute in the CMS
- Image URL (for insertion) https://live.staticflickr.com/8104/8631368705_907915f30e.jpg
- This is the URL to use when adding the image (Not the attribution link)
- It should end in a file format ".jpg" or ".png" for most cases
- Webpage URL (for attribution): https://www.flickr.com/photos/a_peach/8631368705/sizes/m/
- This is the URL to use in the attribution
- It should end in "/sizes/m"
- Proper Attribution: Image via Flickr by A_Peach
Don’t use the user page URL for anything in the attribution.